




Jaxton has a problem with flat feet and his ankles also roll which in turn keeps him pretty limited in the activities that he can participate in. 2 years ago I took him to see my ankle surgeon, Dr. Maling. He put Jaxton in some very restrictive orthotics and we were hoping to correct the problem. That didn't happen, so I took him in for a check up with the Dr and we decided the best plan of action for Jaxton would be surgery to correct the deformities of his foot/ankle structure. Little did I know it would all happen so fast!
I got the call on Monday that said they could squeeze him into the surgery schedule on Wed. so we said ok hoping that 3 weeks at home working on recovery before school starts would be enough.
The Surgery took almost 2 hours, Dr Maling did 3 small incisions up his Achilles tendon to lengthen it, and he has incisions on both sides of his ankle where they went in and cut a bone and inserted a bone graft and also put in an implant to change the structure of his foot to give him an arch and force the foot to be straight, we will be doing the other foot in december of this year, I know how much this surgery hurts from my own experiences and was concerned for him, the Dr had him excited telling him that after we fix his feet he will be able to keep up with the other kids and play sports and all that so Jaxton went in VERY excited. Mom tried to tell him it was going to hurt alot but the Dr said, "your tougher than you mom you will be great"! Mom was right!
They took me into his recovery room and I have never felt so helpless in my life! Seeing you kids in pain and not being able to help them in the worst thing in the world. I walked into the room and Jaxton was on the bed sobbing, he was in SO much pain It broke my heart, I just cried with him, there was nothing I could do to ease ANY of the pain he was having. They gave him 3 shots of Demerol while were in recovery. After we got up to his room they started him on percocet and he was still in so much pain they had to give him morphine in the IV. It took a while but we finally got on top of the pain and he has done so much better! Still hurts him but hope the worst will be over in the next day or two. He will be non weight bearing for 5-6 weeks then partial weight bearing until he is 8-10 weeks out, Its going to be a long road but we are praying this will help him be able to be more active and enjoy playing and being a kid, Sorry for the super long post but where it all happened so fast, most people dont know the story, So here are a few pictures of our time at the hospital!
4 comments:
Wow, I didn't hear he was having surgery. I want to drive over and give him big loves. I can't imagine seeing your child in so much pain. I am glad this will help though. Love you guys.
Get better soon Jaxton!!! Hope it heals quickly! We love you!!
I am glad that everything went well and that they finally did get on top of the pain.....I too was crying for our sweet lil guy.....I love you Jaxton....Feel better soon!
I'm so glad he is finally doing a little better! Poor guy! Tell him I love him!
Post a Comment